In order to prevent the spread of the COVID-19, the library is closed temporarily, however, some services are available. We hope you will take advantage of it.
If you would like to use the Center for Historical Social Science Literature, the Chiyoda Campus Library, the Institute of Economic Research Library, or the Research Centre of Information and Statistics of Social Science, please visit their websites.
- Precautions for Visitors
- Use of Library Materials
- Use of Library Facilities
- E-resources accessible from off-campus
- Use of External Materials
- Book Purchase Request
- Update History
Precautions for Visitors
- As a general rule, you must reserve to use services that involve visiting the library. Please check the notes for each item.
- The main entrance to the library is not available. We post the information how to enter the library near the main entrance. Users with reservations will be notified individually.
- Users are not allowed to enter the other floors of the main building. In principle, the reading room is not available.
- Please refrain from entering the library if you are unwell, such as fever, cough, or feeling lethargic.
- Please wear a mask when you come to the library. If you are unable to wear it, please cooperate with Cough Etiquette.
- Please leave the library as soon as you have finished your business. The maximum length of stay is limited to two hours.
Use of Library Materials
Checkout (updated June 10)
Members of Hitotsubashi University can checkout and photocopy materials by advance application.
Tuesday, June 9, Wednesday, June 10 and Friday, June 12: 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
After Monday, June 15: Weekdays (Monday-Friday) 9:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
How to apply
- Log in to MyLibrary and make a reservation to click the “Reserve" button of the library materials you want to use.
- Please select “Main Library – Reserve" as the Circulation Counter.
- When the library materials are ready, we will send you a confirmation email, so please come to the library.
- Please show us the confirmation email (print or screen) at the circulation counter.
- Please make a reservation at least one day before the date you wish to use the materials. After the date change, your reservation will be processed the next day.
*You may receive materials on the next pickup day but depending on the work schedule of the staff, it may take some time to prepare them.
If you want to copy “in library use only” materials, please send an email as follows.
Please refer to the HERMES-Catalog for items (4)-(7).
To: service-order◎lib.hit-u.ac.jp (Please change ◎ to @)
Subject: Advance reservation of materials
(2) Student ID or staff number
(3) Pick up date
(4) Title, volume and other information
(6) Call No.
(7) Barcode No.
Relaxation of the maximum number of books available for checkout
The maximum number of books that can be borrowed is relaxed as follows.
– Undergraduate students: 20 books
– Graduate students: 60 books
– Faculty and staff: 70 books *no change
Photocopy (updated June 10)
If you want to make photocopies of materials in the library, please make a reservation in advance by MyLibrary or email. The reservation procedure is same as advance reservation for check out materials. For photocopying, please use the photocopiers on the first floor of the library. As a rule, the library staff does not make photocopies of materials.
Graduation and Master’s Theses (updated June 10)
We are prepared to make a reservation to using graduation or master’s thesis. We will let you know when they are available for viewing.
Return (updated June 10)
Books can be returned in the return box near the library entrance or by mail. If you want to return books by mail, please contact us.
Reservation/Delivery service (updated June 10)
You can reserve books on loan from MyLibrary as usual.
You will receive an email as soon as the books are returned, so please check the email before visiting the library.
We will resume the delivery service from the Chiyoda Campus Library and the Kodaira Research Library on June 15.
For the time being, the Kodaira Research Library is not open for direct visits.
Relaxation of the maximum number of renewal (updated June 10)
Library materials that are not overdue and not reserved can be renewed more than 3 times. We will send you a reminder email 3 days before the due date, so please extend it via MyLibrary. Please return reserved books.
Microform Materials (updated June 26)
It is scheduled to restart on Monday, June 29.
Advanced reservations are required. Browsing is limited up to 1 hour for each person. Please send us your first and second choice of date and time (①10:00②11:00③13:00④14:00⑤15:00) via Ask a Librarian by 4 p.m. on the day before the day of use (weekdays only). Please bring your USB stick to save image files.
Taking Photos of Materials (updated June 26)
It is scheduled to restart on Monday, June 29.
Advanced reservations are required. Browsing is limited up to 1 hour for each person. Please send us your first and second choice of date and time (①10:00②11:00③13:00④14:00⑤15:00) via Ask a Librarian by 4 p.m. on the day before the day of use (weekdays only).
Rare Materials (updated June 10)
As a general rule, we provide copies for rare materials use.
Please send us title and call number of the material you want to use via Ask a Librarian.
It will take several weeks to provide copies .
*For browsing rare materials of the Center for Historical Social Science Literature (CHSSL), please visit here.
For Alumni / Visitors (updated June 10)
Visitors, including alumni, are not allowed to enter the library for the time being.
Use of Library Facilities
PCs in the Library (updated June 15)
About 10 computers on the first floor of the Main Building are available for database searches from Monday, June 15.
However, you can use the service for up to two hours per day.
Details of how to use
- Request to use the PC at the counter
- Receive a usage tag
- Use the PC with the number on the usage tag (maximum 2 hours)
- Return the usage tag to the counter.
*You will not be able to use this service if you do not have your student or staff ID card.
*You cannot select a seat by yourself. Please use the PC with the number on the usage tag.
*The PC will be disinfected by the staff after use.
*The PC will be disinfected by staff after use.
*Depending on the frequency of use, we may require you to make a reservation in advance.
Printers (updated June 10)
Out of service
E-resources accessible from off-campus
Some of our electronic resources are available from off-campus.
For more information, please visit here.
Use of External Materials
Interlibrary Loan (updated June 26)
Requesting Photocopies from Other Libraries
It is scheduled to restart at 10:00 on Monday, June 15.
*Photocopy requests are limited up to 5 documents for each person. After receiving all photocopies at the Help Desk, you can add other requests up to 5.
*Photocopies can be picked up at the Help Desk on weekdays from 9:30-12:00 and 13:00-16:30. Please note that we do not mail them to your home.
*Due to circumstances of other libraries, photocopy requests may be declined or taken more time than usual.
Requesting Books on Interlibrary Loan from Other Libraries
It is scheduled to restart on Monday, June 29. Graduate students can use the Public Subsidy Service for Interlibrary Loan.
*Loan requests are limited up to 5 books for each person. After returning all books at the Help Desk, you can add other requests up to 5.
*Books can be picked up at the Help Desk on weekdays from 9:30-12:00 and 13:00-16:30. Please note that we do not mail them to your home.
*Due to circumstances of other libraries, loan requests may be declined or taken more time than usual.
National Diet Library Digital Collections (updated June 11)
It is scheduled to restart on Monday, June 15.
*Browsing is limited up to 1 hour for each person.
*Advanced reservations are required. Please send us your first and second choice of date and time (①10:00②11:00③13:00④14:00⑤15:00) via Ask a Librarian by 16 p.m. on the day before the day of use (weekdays only).
*The library staff make photocopies (for a fee). Photocopies will be ready the next day or later.
Visiting Other Libraries / Letters of Introduction (updated June 10)
Out of service
Book Purchase Requests (updated June 12)
We will resume the Faculty / Student book purchase requests at 10:00 on Monday, June 15.
June 10, 2020 Release
June 15, 2020 updated [PCs in the Library]